Monday 20 August 2012

// Are Games Art?

The short answer to that question: Yes.

Yes they are… Or at least they can be…

In my opinion many games throughout the years have qualified as art. Albeit a new and interactive form of art, but art nonetheless.

Now I know I am not the first to make this point, in fact the 'Games as Art' debate has been raging for years, however being somewhat of a veteran in the field of sitting at home twiddling my thumbsticks, I have decided to lean forward and be counted.

Is this art? Probably not...
For me the question of 'are games art' was answered long ago with the likes of Castle of Illusion on the MegaDrive (that’s the Genesis if your of the American persuasion). The vibrant colours and inventive plinky-plonky music had me straight away and I would much rather have been inside exploring enchanted forests and toy factories than outside playing… ball foot? Football? Or whatever it is that young people are meant to enjoy.
Mouse + Cake Dragon = ART. Bearing in mind I was only 6.
I have been enchanted, amazed, moved and inspired by so many titles throughout the years that I have begun to lose count. And what else does a medium need to do in order to be classed as art other than convey emotion?

For me it is now only a question of which games qualify as art. Over the course of the coming weeks and months I am going to be taking valuable time out from what I’m meant to be doing in favour of reviewing some of my favourite games through history and posting on this blog.

Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. Art or craft?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1De1_EaJVM

    Added you to my rss feed. Looking forward to your reviews Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers pal - I'll keep you posted. Also Changed the Font, hopefully easier to read now!

    ReplyDelete